Tuesday, November 7, 2006

exam seasons

Even though I graduated from Uni some 6 years ago, I still remember how exam season was like. Last year in Bible College did bring back memories of how exam season was like.

So since it's exam seasons now, I thought I share my experience of how I coped with exams, how I sneaked in extra 1/2 hours of sleep here and there because of techniques I've come out with to cut short "getting ready time". All this I will share today with all of you.

Things that you must have or have stocked up during exam periods:

  • Bottles of 7-up (pref 7-up zero)
  • Boxes of Pizza
  • Coffee Powder
  • Clean Wipes
  • Cheap Perfume

One thing I found during exam periods is that every minute is precious to you. You want to cut down on things like cooking, bathing, washing-up, etc etc so that you can have extra time to study and sleep. I worked out a strategy that will still help you get enough rest and enough time to cramp, however certain sacrifices have to be made.

As mentioned, cooking takes up a lot of time. So, make use of those Dominos and PizzaHut promotion where it says something like buy 1 free 1 kind of thing. It's okay to over buy because it'll come in handy. Eat what you want and put the remaining in the fridge, remember it's okay to overstock on the pizzas, these pizzas will take you through your breakfast, lunch, dinner and supper and snacks. Oh yeah.. don't buy snacks, just stick to the pizzas... it makes good snacks, besides after spending on the pizzas, you won't have money for snacks. So the main purpose of the pizza is to minimize going out for dinner and all.

Now comes the more interesting stuff, how to stay awake the whole night feeling fresh to study. Studying late into the night is actually easy, all you need is coffee powder and a tablespoon beside you. Take note, I said only coffee powder and a tablespoon. Nothing else is required. When you've hit 1am and still want to muck but you feel absolutely sleepy? Swallow one tablespoon of coffee powder and don't drink any water with it until at least 15 minutes later. I guarantee you, it beats drinking red-bull or smoking a fag to stay awake. It's all in one, it relieves stress like how cigarettes do and keeps you wide awake for the next 2-4 hours, depending on your tolerance level to coffee. If the taste of coffee powder is too strong for you, down one slice of cold pizza from the fridge, it will help. That's why I can't stress enough, stock up on the pizzas.

To cramp in sufficient sleep, I've developed this technique. it'll guarantee to cut and help save between 10 minutes to 45 minutes and for some up till 1 hour. We spend a fair bit of time washing up in the morning and getting ready. This method that I am going to teach you will come in extra handy on days when you have early morning papers. The night before, wear the clothes you want to wear for the next morning, wrap your head in a shower cap before sleep so the next day you're dressed and your hair is not messed up. Don't need to take a bath, use one clean wipe to wipe your face and spray the cheap perfume, go downstairs, eat one or two slices of cold pizza, the will be your breakfast as well as a method of brushing your teeth. You see, cold pizza is hard and it will help scrub dirt of your teeth. Finally, gargle and swallow one mouth full of 7-up. This will rinse your mouth and take away the bad breath leaving your breath smelling minty and that will also be your one cup of water early in the morning. As you can see, the amount of time saved :

  1. Time used to change clothes and comb hair - 0 minutes
  2. Time used to eat pizza - 1 minute
  3. Time used to gargle with 7-up - 20 seconds
  4. Total time spent - 1 minute 20 seconds

1 minute 20 seconds compared to:

  1. Take of pyjamas - 1 minute
  2. Brush teeth - 3 minute (according to dental advise)
  3. Take bath - 20-45 minutes
  4. Decide on clothes to wear - 2-5 minutes
  5. Wear clothes - 3-6 minutes
  6. Comb hair - 1-5 minutes
  7. Make and eat breakfast - 10 minutes
  8. Total time spent - 40 minutes to 70 minutes

Sleeping is as important as studying. What I suggest and it may not work for all, I tape up everything that I need to remember into a recorder and play it while I am sleeping. I get to study and sleep at the same time. Waking up fresh the next day and feeling extra knowledgeable.

I hope some of my tips will help those taking exams now. I want to wish everybody all the best of the best for their exams. My tips may be good but ultimately God is the one who gives strength and wisdom. So, don't forget your QT in the midst of your exams, don't leave God out.

disclaimer: follow my exam study tips at your own risk. Health issues may be a side effect

No comments: